Azure Acres Recovery Center in Sebastopol, California, helps adults age 18 and older of all genders embrace healing from addictions through our Conscious Recovery program. This 12-week curriculum, available at both the residential level in Sebastopol and outpatient levels in Sacramento and Santa Rosa, addresses the underlying causes of addiction through the use of spiritual practices designed to promote long-term freedom.
Overview of Conscious Recovery
Get an overview of the Conscious Recovery program at Azure Acres Recovery Center in Sebastopol, CA
There are many methods of healing from addiction that can be effective under the proper circumstances. In order to promote long-lasting healing, though, one must identify the root cause of the behaviors that led that individual down the path toward a substance use disorder.
That’s why Azure Acres has created a Conscious Recovery program. Conscious Recovery offers a fresh perspective on examining the underlying causes of addiction that goes far beyond addressing symptoms. The program gets to the bottom of destructive patterns and behaviors and addresses such topics as unresolved trauma, toxic shame, and spiritual disconnection.
The Conscious Recovery method states that underneath all addictive behavior exists an essential self that is whole and perfect. Addiction itself is never necessarily a problem, but rather is a strategy of the body and mind that has suddenly lost its effectiveness. In order to begin to recover from a substance use disorder, a person needs to have clear direction for letting go of the core false beliefs that led them to develop addictive tendencies.
At our facility in Sebastopol, California, we help clients find the pathway to permanent freedom through the adoption of spiritual practices and principles. Since 1959, Azure Acres has built a reputation as one of the most highly respected residential treatment centers in Northern California by focusing on a commitment to recovery that encompasses mind, body, and spirit. Conscious Recovery is the latest in a long line of methods that can lead to healthier and brighter futures.
Features of Conscious Recovery
Learn about the features of the Conscious Recovery program at Azure Acres Recovery Center in Sebastopol, CA
At Azure Acres, we offer the Conscious Recovery program through both our residential and intensive outpatient program (IOP) tracks. In both cases, the curriculum lasts 12 weeks, with clients continuing to receive the same existing treatment provided by those respective programs. At both the residential and IOP levels, Conscious Recovery is highly interactive and dynamic.
Residential: The Conscious Recovery residential curriculum focuses on assisting clients in connecting with their authentic selves and both identifying and breaking free from destructive and addictive patterns. Each week has its own focus.
- Week 1: Authenticity – Learn how to live a life that’s true to who you are, allowing for deeper connections with yourself and those around you.
- Week 2: Perspective – Step outside your bubble and identify how to see situations from different points of view.
- Week 3: Conflict – Recognize the conditions that lead to conflict and learn how to quell emotional behavior in these situations.
- Week 4: Recovery Rocks – Explore and expunge false beliefs that can produce shame and addictive behaviors.
- Week 5: Communication – Tackle the four styles of communication: aggressive, passive, passive-aggressive, and authentic.
- Week 6: Change – Learn to identify life-changing moments and how to use them to shift trajectory.
- Week 7: Self-Love and Acceptance – Figure out how to break down situations that seem hopeless and transform these behaviors into self-love.
- Week 8: Relapse Triggers – Come to grips with the belief that no one outside of yourself can make you relapse.
- Week 9: Balance – Explore recovery through four rooms: emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual.
- Week 10: Letting Go – Learn how to forgive and find inner peace through an impactful, interactive forgiveness process.
- Week 11: Gratitude – Discover the difference everyday gratitude can make through dynamic, interactive group processes.
- Week 12: Finding Purpose – Close out your curriculum by finding ways to let go of false beliefs and uncovering their deeper meaning.
IOP: At the outpatient level, Conscious Recovery spends 12 weeks going through the spiritual and recovery principles introduced in TJ Woodward’s Conscious Recovery Workbook and putting them into practice through a variety of individual and group activities. These programs convene at our outpatient locations, which are located in Sacramento and Santa Rosa. Each week covers a different topic.
- Week 1: Conscious Recovery Overview and Lecture – An introduction to the 12-week curriculum
- Week 2: The Spiritual Lens – Wholeness and Perfection, The Four Aspects of Being, What Is the Spiritual Lens?, and Holistic and Integrated Recovery
- Week 3: The Addicted Self – The Outer-Focused Life, Cultural Influences, Core False Beliefs, and Brilliant Strategies
- Week 4: Unresolved Trauma – The Domestication of the Human, Trauma (Physical, Mental, Emotional, Spiritual, and Vicarious), and Consequences of Unresolved Trauma
- Week 5: Spiritual Disconnection – What Is Spiritual Disconnection?, Attachment Theory, Unconscious Patterns, and A New Way of Being
- Week 6: Toxic Shame – What Is Toxic Shame?, Guilt/Shame, Victim Consciousness, and Bringing Shame into the Light
- Week 7: Creating Safety – Internal/External Safety, Self-Love and Acceptance, Maintaining an Open Heart, Rebuilding Trust, and the Importance of Community
- Week 8: Unlearning – Living Beyond Your Stories, Evidence or Conclusion?, Self-Parenting, and Integrating the Shadow
- Week 9: Practicing Spiritual Principles – Nonresistance/Nonjudgment, Presence/Mindfulness, Living in the Question, and Making Peace with Impermanence
- Week 10: Owning Your Power – The Powers of Perception, Forgiveness, Authenticity, and Gratitude
- Week 11: The Great Remembering – Letting Go, Making U-Turns, Embracing Love, and Inner and Outer Connection
- Week 12: Awakened Living – Finding Purpose and Freedom, Choosing Peace and Happiness, and Awakening into Service
History of Conscious Recovery
Discover the history of the Conscious Recovery program at Azure Acres Recovery Center in Sebastopol, CA
Conscious Recovery was founded in 2017 by TJ Woodward, a recovery specialist, author, inspirational speaker, and addiction treatment consultant. Woodward published his first book, Conscious Being: Awakening to Your True Nature, in 2015 and released the follow-up that serves as the baseline for the program, Conscious Recovery: A Fresh Perspective on Addiction, in 2017.
Woodward has served as a counselor or spiritual director of top-tier addiction treatment centers for the past decade and has spent more than 30 years helping people break the cycle of addictive behavior. Conscious Recovery, which has roots in Woodward’s personal recovery journey, helps individuals move beyond treating their symptoms and patterns to focus on the root causes that drive destructive decisions.